- This shows how easy it is for a microblading procedure to go wrongInside Edition's Lisa Guerrero got an infection after having microblading done. She went to a registered nurse and made sure she used new, sterile blades. But a few days later, things went really wrong.Inside Edition
- How to talk to your boss about your mental healthHere are four tips that can make the conversation less intimidating.Glamour
- Celebrities who aren't ashamed about lifelong skin conditionsNot even celebrities are immune to having difficult skin conditions and disorders. Radio.com
Potential Health Risks of Eating Raw OystersInside Edition2:21
This shows how easy it is for a microblading procedure to go wrongInside Edition2:43
How to talk to your boss about your mental healthGlamour2:43
Celebrities who aren't ashamed about lifelong skin conditionsRadio.com1:38
Alejandra Campoverdi opens up about her double mastectomyHealth1:44
Is there at link between hearing and dementia?Associated Press1:32
Woman gets double mastectomy after genetic test — then learns of misdiagnosisTODAY6:41
Careful! Undercooked burger is more dangerous than undercooked steakBuzz601:33
President Jimmy Carter recovering after hip surgeryCNN0:20
Randy Travis opens up about his life-threatening strokeTODAY3:41
Eco-friendly toothpaste comes in tablet formNowThis News3:02
Why heart attacks spike during sporting eventsRadio.com1:03
Teacher uses 'mood notes' to help students open up about their feelingsCBS News3:45
Children with same birth defect grow up to get marriedInside Edition1:51
The best way to lose weight boils down to these three thingsNBC News2:11
Chris Kattan opens up about life-changing injury after 'SNL' sketchInside Edition1:56
Twenty-four hours later, Bergquist found herself in the middle of a "nightmare," she told Inside Edition. Her wife was seriously ill and could hardly get air into her lungs.
"You could see that she was really struggling to breathe,"?Bergquist said, adding that LeBlanc's legs had also?broken out in a terrible?rash.
Bergquist, a nurse, immediately rushed her wife to the hospital. "She was scared," she recalled. "... Her temperature was going up. Her legs were really inflamed and hot."
As it turned out, doctors said?LeBlanc had contracted vibrio, a potentially deadly form of flesh-eating bacteria typically that can be caused by eating undercooked seafood like oysters.
"I never thought that an oyster could kill you," said?Bergquist.
While millions of pounds of oysters are harvested and eaten safely?in the United States annually, for some people eating oysters can pose serious health risks.?The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention advises that people battling cancer, diabetes or liver disease are especially at risk of contracting the bacteria and should avoid eating raw oysters. Also at risk? People who have undergone gastric bypass surgery, like LeBlanc. It was a danger that Bergquist said LeBlanc was unaware of.
Over the next two days, LeBlanc's condition deteriorated.?
"I was very terrified because they said they didn't expect her to last initially more than 24 to 48 hours," said Bergquist. "They had done everything that they could to save her life."
She added: "Her legs were being eaten up and her kidneys were being eaten up. She did fight all the way to the bitter end of her life."
Tragically, LeBlanc passed away 20 days after eating the raw oysters?
"The last thing we said was?'I love you,'" Bergquist said.
Now, Bergquist is remembering her wife by getting the message out on the potential dangers of eating raw oysters.?
"An?oyster?can kill you," she said.?
Vibrio sickens an estimated 800,000 people and leads to 100 deaths each year in the U.S., according to the CDC.
To avoid getting vibrio from oysters, watch for open or cracked shells, meaning the oyster most likely died and may not be safe to eat. Healthy oysters will respond to a tap on their shell or a dousing of cold water by clamping shut. If you buy live oysters, make sure to get them to a fridge within 90 minutes of purchase.?